The Red Dot Award: Communication Design is celebrating its 25th anniversary in 2017
The Red Dot Award: Communication Design 2017 has commenced.
It offers agencies, designers and companies from all over the world a platform for evaluating their design and creative achievements.
They can submit their works and projects to the international competition featuring 18 categories by no later than 9 June 2017.
A 24-member jury will assess each individual entry separately and will award the Red Dot seal only to those that win it over with good design quality and creativity.
25 years of expertise in communication design
With its vast experience, the award finds the best achievements from more than 45 participating countries.
Not only professionals, but also up-and-coming talents can put their achievements to the test: As part of the Red Dot Award: Communication Design, the Red Dot: Junior Award is geared to upcoming designers (up to two years after they graduate).
- Entries can be submitted during the “Early Bird” phase until 2 April
- The subsequent “Regular” registration phase runs until 14 May
- The final deadline is 9 June 2017
From packaging and posters, corporate and brand design to advertising, online and spatial communication, the participants in the Red Dot Award: Communication Design 2017 can choose from a total of 18 categories in which to test their achievements.
Depending on the nature of the work, it can be registered in one or several categories.
How to submit: entries can be submitted as an original, a presentation chart, digitally or in cross-media form.
A key asset: the International jury and its “Code of Honour”
The works and projects submitted will be assessed by a 24-member jury.
- The experts are bound by a “Code of Honour” that prevents them from submitting their own work or projects they have been involved in.
- Thus, they do not take part in assessing work that they contributed to in any way.
- This ensures that members of the Red Dot jury do not judge their own work or the work of direct competitors.
Assessment without preselection
Following the motto “In search of good design and creativity”, the international experts evaluate all of the entries live and in situ.
- The works are not compared directly against each other, and no preselection takes place.
- Each project is discussed and assessed individually and on its own merits.
- Only projects that win over the jury with their overall quality and creative achievement are awarded the Red Dot seal
A seal of quality
A winning piece of work is awarded the Red Dot, while outstanding entries win a Red Dot: Best of the Best.
- The Red Dot: Grand Prix goes to the best piece of work in each category
- The best piece of work by an up-and-coming designer is awarded the Red Dot: Junior Prize along with prize money of 10,000 Euros
- In addition, the titles of honour “Red Dot: Agency of the Year” and “Red Dot: Brand of the Year” are bestowed for consistently outstanding achievements
Award ceremony (and party!) in Berlin
The winners of the Red Dot Award: Communication Design 2017 will be honoured at the Red Dot Gala in the Konzerthaus Berlin in Germany on 27 October in front of around 1,400 international guests.
The winners of the Red Dot: Grand Prix and the Red Dot: Junior Prize will not be officially announced until the award ceremony.
The international guests celebrate at the subsequent after-show party in the E-Werk Berlin.
During the Designers’ Night, the exhibition “Design on Stage” presents the award-winning works.
Visibility at an international level
In addition to the use of the internationally renowned Red Dot seal of quality, the laureates benefit from numerous other measures that give their achievements global and media visibility.
For example, the award-winning works are presented in the International Yearbook Communication Design 2017/2018 as well as in the Red Dot App, online and in special exhibitions as well as “on Tour”.
Dates and registration
- Early Bird 27 February – 2 April 2017
- Regular 3 April – 14 May 2017
- Latecomer 15 May – 9 June 2017
- Jury session: July 2017
- Award ceremony: 27 October 2017
Further information and registration, click here.